Valentine Chemeli Chumo is a holder of Bachelor of Arts Degree in Design from the University of Nairobi. She has worked as a project manager for Projects Intelligence group, whose tasks included overseeing and managing the provision of services on the online e-commerce platform. Mrs. Chumo is also entrepreneur and mentor and is currently the Director of Alpha capita Foundation, which targets to empower youth, women and disadvantaged groups through financial empowerment. Valentine is married with one child and hails from Nandi Hills Sub-County.
Tourism, Culture and Social Welfare
That Nandi is truly blessed with immense Tourism and Cultural activities is a fact that can’t be disputed.
Since getting into office, focus has been on mapping these Tourist Sites with an aim of intensively marketing Nandi as the preferred Tourists destination to both Local and International Community.
From the famous Nandi Rocks which border Nyanza to the Chepkiit Falls which is situated a few kilometers from the Eldoret International Airport; the Kingwal Swamp home to the Sitatunga, the Bonjoge Game Reserve, Songhor Prehistoric Site and the Koitalel Samoei Museumin in Nandi Hills among other sites, which offer a perfect opportunity for those seeking to deviate from the norm and enjoy what nature has to offer.
We are in the process of uplifting the structures along these sites to make it easier for the tourists to access these areas while assuring safety.
The Social Welfare Department is to undertake a census to ascertain the exact number of Persons Living with Disabilities (PLWDs)
This will help us in planning for these people in order to make their lives much more bearable through incentives and offering of assisting devices including wheel chairs and protective lotions as the situation may require.
Culture plays an important role in our communities. This is why we shall ensure that it is embraced, through effective participation
in activities aimed at sustaining this.
Recently, our county participated in the Rift Valley Inter County Cultural festival where we scooped ten awards in the various categories. We were crowned as the Most Improved Best Overall. This is a great milestone and a clear indicator of the direction we shall be taking as a county
It is clear that the department has already taken off and we are concerned on how we can better market Nandi as the best destination in the region
We are calling upon investors in the Hospitality Industry to improve on their facilities so that we can have enough bed space for the expected visitors.
We shall continue partnering with like-minded individuals both in the Public and Private sectors to see to it that Nandi takes its rightful position in the sector.
To develop, preserve and promote a unique Tourism product, cultural heritage and provide equitable services to the people.
To be a global leader in competitive tourism, heritage conservation and community empowerment
- Implementation of national and county tourism, policies, regulation, strategies and programs.
- Development of community based tourism programs.
- Training and capacity building of tourist stakeholders.
- Tourist product development.
- County branding as a tourist destination of choice.
- Marketing and promotion county domestic tourism products.
- To promote, preserve and develop county’s culture for sustainable development.
- To provide enforced policy and framework for cultural to facilitate quality service delivery.
- To promote county cohesion appreciation and tolerance of cultural diversity.
- To mobilize resources for cultural development.
- Social protection
- Guidance and counselling
- Rescue, reform and reintegration of conflicted individuals
- Emergency response and Disaster Management
- Community development and mobilization